Alabama historical sites
The Dancy-Polk House - Decatur
- Built in 1829 by Town pioneer Col. Frank Dancy as his home, later became known as the Polk Hotel and was frequentedby railroad travelers.
The Carnegie Library - Decatur
- Built in 1904, was erected with funds from the Carnegie Foundation, like dozens of others across the country. It is one of the few remaining original Carnegie Library buildings in the Nation
Shadowlawn - Decatur
- An imposing frame house named for its towering Oak Trees, was built circa 1880 by William G. Gill, whose ancestors helped settle Jamestown, Virginia. He died attending patients during a yellow fever epidemic in 1888
The Moseley House - Decatur
- Is the best example of the Second Empire style ( Which featured Mansard roofs), in Decatur. It was built circa 1885 by Capt. William Moseley, the largest property owner in town
The McEntire House - Decatur
- Is one of the oldest buildings in Decatur. Constructed prior to 1836, the home was used by both Union and Confederates forces as headquarters during the civil war. The Confederates planned the Battle of Shiloh within its walls
The Chenault House - New Albany
- Was built in 1906 and is one of the finest examples in the distric of the late Victorianhouse with both Queen Anne and Colonial Revival influences
St. John's Episcopal Church - New Albany
- Dedicated in 1893, replaced an earlier church in Old Decatur that burned down in 1889. Originally facing North, the building was physically turned around in 1948
The Hoff House - New Albany
- Was built in 1883 by George Hoff, who came to Decatur from Philadelphia in 1870. The home is a late Victorian structure with colonial Revival elements
The Jervis McWhorter House - New Albany
- Was built in 1893. It is perhaps the most intact late Victorian structure in the neighborhood. The Jervis brothers came from Wales and in the Christmas season and other holidays, the families always spoke in Welsh
Indian Mound - Florence
- This mound was built around 500 A.D. during the Woodland period by the Copena culture of Native Americans.
It is the largest domiciliary mound in the Tennessee Valley. An educational, city owned, museum houses authentic artifacts dating back 10,000 years. - 256-760-6427
Pope's Tavern - Florence
- This one time stagecoach stop, tavern and inn, now owned by the city, is one of the oldest structures in Florence.
Both Confederate and Union forces used it as a hospital during the Civil War. It also houses
a wealth of local history and pioneer artifacts. - 256-760-6439
Frank Lloyd Wright's Rosenbaum House - Florence
- The Stanley and Mildred Rosenbaum house was completed in 1940 and is the only Frank Lloyd Wright
designed structure in the State of Alabama. It is also one of only 26 Usonian houses ever built
in the United States. The house was maintained by the original owners until 1999 when it was deeded to the city of Florence. - 256-740-8899
Helen Keller's Birthplace, Ivy Green - Tuscumbia
- Helen Keller "America's first lady of courage" was born in Tuscumbia where her memory is kept alive at her birthplace.
It is also the site of the "Miracle Worker Play" held annually each June and July. The Helen Keller festival, held annually the last fall weekend of June, includes arts, crafts and entertainment. - 256-383-4066
Home - Home - Home - Home - Home
http://www.2havefun.com is an independent resource, providing fun things to do throughout the United States
Where 2havefun is owned by Crazy Quest, LLC
All rights are reserved.
Please read our privacy statement
about using our website.