Cool and Fun Places to see in the Twin Cities Stone Arch Bridge - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Stone Arch Bridge St Anthony Falls Minneapolis, Minnesota "This viaduct is the only one of its kind that spans the Father
of Waters, and is one of the largest and most noteworthy in the United States. Firmer than the earthwhich supports it, it is constructed to stand
the test of time" -Daily Minnesota Tribune, November 23, 1883
Taken from the Banks of the Mississippi
My Daughter trying to flag down the Trolly She's not much of a walker. The Trolly can be taken from the West end of the Bridge
The Historic Milling District The Trolley Starts Here. They are planning on revamping the District
Another Shot of the Bridge from The Mississippi River
St. Anthony Falls View from the bridge. it really is the only good spot to View the Falls
The Turn around spot for the Trolley Several outdoor Cafes and also check out The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices
Constructed 1882 - 1883
The Stone Arch Bridge was Constructedas a railroad bridge by James
J. Hill and the Minneapolis Union Railway Company.
Designed by Colonel Charles C. Smith, the bridge cut diagonally across
the Mississippi River with a 6' curve at the west end. It was 2,100 feet
long, 76 feet high with 23 arches.
The Bridge was built of 100,000 tons of stone: granite from Sauk
Rapids, Minnesota, and limestone quarried from nearby Mississippi River
Bluffs and from Mankato, Minnesota: Stone City, Iowa: and Bridgeport, Wisconsin.
Construction took twenty two months.
from January 16, 1862 to November 22, 1863
600 men worked day & night, winter & summer
Heavy labor was provided by men and by horses harnessed to windlasses.
Steam Powered pumps removed water during construction of pier foundations.
Trains provided the means to haul the stone from distant quarries.
Three men lost their lives.
1907 - 1910
Arches were reinforced, crown to crown, to carry heavier loads
1925 Tracks were widened and parapet walls cut back to accommodate the
increased size of trains
1948 82 passenger train crossed daily in the heyday of the bridge.
1961 - 1963
St. Anthony Falls Upper Lock, constructed by the US Army Corps of
Engineers, required removal of arches 13 and 14 and pier 14 and installation
of a 200 foot Warren Truss.
Record breaking Spring Floods caused major damage to peir 7 and
arches 6 and 7. Repairs were made by the owner of the bridge. The Great
Northern Railway Company.
The last passenger train crossed the bridge
Hennein County Regional Railroad Authority purchased the bridge
Ownership was transferred to the Minnesota Department of Transportation
Hiking and Bike Trails Minnesota
- Minnesota trails guide, let us show you a vast amount of trails located in minnesota, suitable for biking, hiking, horseback riding, snowmobiling and x-country sking.
Minnesota Twins Tickets
- ShowMe Tickets sells tickets for all Twins games. We specialize in providing you with premium and other Twins tickets that are in high demand. We can help you gain access to tickets for all major events.